Loading...

The Ghost

The Midland Railway into London opened in 1868.

Moorgate : Aldersgate : Farringdon : King’s Cross-St. Pancras : Camden Road : Kentish Town : Haverstock Hill : Finchley Road : West End : Child’s Hill : Welsh Harp : Hendon.

A line of ghosts.

Welsh Harp station, named after the Old Welsh Harp Tavern, was built following strenuous representations from the Tavern’s charismatic licensee W.P. Warner. It opened on 2 May 1870 as a single island platform between the slow lines.

The expresses thundered by, throwing out gouts of steam.

Its regular services from Town brought thousands for a countrified bean feast. An away day of eating, drinking, strolling, swimming, fishing or boating. A courtship with countryside thirty minutes from home

In the heady days of the mid-1880s crowds in excess of 25,000 could be expected over a bank holiday weekend; in 1881 on Easter Monday, trains delivered some 5,000 day trippers to the Harp before lunch.

However, it was all short-lived, a brief flurry of activity before tastes and the environment changed. By the early 1900’s the area was urbanised and day-trippers turned away from built-over green fields and a man-made lake to the coast and the seaside towns.

Welsh Harp station closed on 1 July 1903. It was 33 years old.

There are no visible remains.

welshharp1891
Map of 1891 showing the station adjacent to the lime green coloured pleasure grounds of the Old Welsh Harp Tavern…

Dollis-Mutton-Stamp no border

One comment

Leave a Reply

  • We're just about ready to restart the Long Trip down the Water Road.
  • Recommendations of websites & books always welcome...
  • Current reading: 'Magpie Words' Richard Caddel, 'Woods etc.' Alice Oswald & '100 Prized Poems'
toggle
%d bloggers like this: