Tin tabernacles were a practical response to population expansion and an upsurge of non-conformism that led to a demand for churches, chapels and mission halls in pit villages, near railway works and in both urban and more isolated rural locations. Late 1890’s St. Saviour’s exemplifies a ‘tin tabernacle’. Built for the employees and families of the remote Midland Railway Co. village of Westhouses, Derbyshire – it’s unprepossessing, functional, purposeful. (Yet even here there’s the late-Victorian delight in Gothic ornamentation on doors and eaves.) Despite being pared back to the essentials of roof and four walls, its ecclesiastic purpose is undisputed.